“Those who own education can change the world” – Gottfried Leibniz. What makes the differences in the basic qualifications of human beings in three typical countries such as the United States, Japan and Israel? Surely that differences are due to education, education in the family, at school and in society. For many generations, our forefathers knew the importance of education, including human education, education of personality and knowledge, health and aesthetics education, today, culinary education is added by the Japanese. Not only being educated from kindergarten to secondary – high school, the children should also be taught since they were born. Many educators say that “Waiting until the 3rd day to start teaching the child means that it is late for 2 days in the process of teaching them” All countries in the world are interested in and direct towards a comprehensive education to train the people who have good moral character, understanding about the principles of behavior and good health and wisdom, etc. However, each country has different features in the way of teaching and cultural education in the family, at school and in society for the next generations and it is inevitable to create the persons with basically different qualifications that we could see very clearly through the study of education methods in three countries: Israel, Japan and the United States. In addition to the summary of the difference of three typical educations, this article focuses on clarifying the most common points of educating children in the family that we should learn, because somewhere in our country, too many parents still cuddle their children, impose on children and sometimes that makes their children lose the confidence in school and life.
Israel is one of the world’s elite and excellent ethnic groups that created the great heroes of humanity, many successful entrepreneurs with good financial management and Jewish people are proficient in foreign languages as well. Many educational researchers believe that Jewish people take family education seriously and have interest in Fetus Education Theory and the Early Education. One more remarkable thing is that this has been preserved in Tohran Bible and Talmudh Bible of the Jewish people for a long time. With the Jewish, “In human life, there is nothing more important than being educated from their childhood, we should find all the ways to help our children’s intelligence to be maximally promoted”. Therefore, Jewish parents of many generations always appreciate the potential development, innate ability cultivation to their children and state that children in the age of 0 to 6 are in the fastest period of brain development; at that time, children acquire knowledge in the fastest way and it is the early education that helps children develop all potential abilities and establishes a solid foundation for their children’s future. They always teach their children: “People who have knowledge are happy, the position of knowledge is even higher than the position of Monarch”, “When the house gets on fire, you should bring your wisdom”, etc.With the Jewish people, books are not only the “treasure” but also contain many useful things, therefore, they are always sweet to all the families. They are very interested in language education, many foreign languages, practice of remembering ability for children from their childhood, answering any questions, stimulating children to take interest in learning knowledge about the surroundings and financial management education. Recently, some educational researchers say that the learning and speaking multiple languages at the same time, using interwoven language triggered the connections of neurons in the Jewish children’s brain. Please see the writing Child-Raising of the Jewish
The Japan is admired by the whole world not only by the extraordinary economic development in a short time, but also by the Japanese characters such as: Honesty, humility, sensitivity, outstanding teamwork spirit, a sense of community, respect for the others, high disciplines compliance, carefulness but creativity and perfectness in the works. In addition, Japan is the nation with the highest life expectancy in the world thanks to scientific and moderate diet. Japanese children are educated about ethics not only from the family, the school, but also from the society. All subjects have the duty to educate on ethics and take place in daily activities in addition to books, especially in textbooks of civic education. Students from the kindergarten have been practicing ethical practices in the daily activities, such as the code of conduct, ways of greetings, saying thanks to parents, teachers, the elder and friends. Every morning, the children line up in class, respectfully greet the teacher before starting a new day. In the process of learning and playing, children are guided and prompted to use the words “thank you” and “sorry” in appropriate situations. Japanese parents have some principles of child raising such as: Being smart and good at study is a good thing, however, more important thing is to have good character; They are very interested in parenting environment; never form a bad habit for children; respect for children, always tell the truth, do not lie to others in front of their children; children’s diet must be balanced and their children are not forced to eat; it is required to arrange meals for children in the chairs and table, etc. Currently, the Japanese are interested in the early childhood education and education methods from the age of 0 to 6 of Shichida are popular and developed in Japan. It is an education method on nourishing the soul, the love to everyone, nourishing dreams and will. This method takes the “intellectual education”, “moral education”, “physical education” and “real education” as the basis directing toward the education of character and balanced development of two hemispheres. Shichida believed that in addition to the focus of brain development education on the child’s academic achievement, one of the miraculous results of the right brain development education is that all children have their mind develope gently and harmoniously and children will show multiple sensibilities, compassion, imagination and creativity. It nourishes the love and creates the unity of the senses (auditory, visual, tactile,etc) And the important thing is that the excellent cooperation between parents and their children. The early education and the right brain development education will shape the future of the world, because one of the goals of education is to create a better world. This is the natural result of the right brain development education and learning methods based on love and cooperation. On the contrary, “the left-brain development education is to create rivalry and competition” – Shichida. Recently, the Japanese schools are is also interested in practising and training students to think and predict how their partner will think, will react and then to take actions? In other words, the method is to put yourself in others’ position before saying and acting so as not to hurt other people. Shichida is the person who initiated the education way of the balance between right brain and left brain, at the present, this education method is being prevalent in Japan. Please refer to the writings: Japanese Education; Child-Raising in Japanese style; Waiting until Kindergarten is too late; Shichida Education Method.
Most of us know that the American people are very confident, independent, honest, brave, strong and steady to make their own lives. American parents concentrate on educating their children the independence, autonomy and respect for individual freedom, personal role when their children were young, through training the children to sleep alone from the 6-7 month age; stand up by themselves in case of failure; dress themselves, feed themselves at a young age; participate in summer camp or travel without their parents; not prohibiting the children from participating in adventurous games; encouraging them to take what things belong to them; their children get the rights to decide all issues related to themselves and have to take responsibility for those choices. They always teach their children that “In this life, you can only rely on yourself, even your family, you should not rely on them”, this is the concept of American education. They always emphasize that each person must be independent, must “do your work by yourself”, then will you practice the ability of survival, independence, not dependence, reliance on others and become an independent individual in society. To achieve these things, they often set reasonable agreements, the principles and discuss with the child; do as a model for their children, encourage them anytime, anywhere; and make the cases easier for their children to do by themselves. American parents love their children, but not indulgent, whereas they are very strict (even some people feel a bit harsh) and always hold the principle in child education.
The differences in the basic qualification of people in those three typical countries are undoubtedly due to education, education in the family, at school and in society. Studying about education in the countries, seeing how they teach a child from his/her birth until their awareness and maturity can help parents be more favorable in reference as well as selection of parenting methods. We would like to summarize and share Child-Raising in Japanese style; Child-Raising of the Jewish people; Child-Raising of American people to help parents have a broader perspective with the knowledge, the information about early education for children, so that parents themselves choose the method that matches the interests and conditions of the family. The more important thing is that the parents can gain a lot of knowledges, children will have more opportunities to expose to the learning and playing methods to develop compassion,creativity and wisdom and from this diversed environment, children will find out what they like and by this way, there are more children to be happy, to live with the passion and creativity.
The different features and outstanding points in teaching and cultural education in the family, at school and in society for the next generations inevitably create the persons who have the different basic qualifications as stated above. Today, thanks to the development of science, technology, more frequent cultural exchange process, the educations, education methods from the family to the school and society are also connected more. We would like to summarize some of the most common basic characteristics of mothers in these countries which are often use in the children education so that we refer, compare ourselves with the culture and the education of Vietnam. We believe that parents will recognize and learn many interesting things so as to teach your children in co-ordination with the school and society.
– The mothers in the above countries love and treat their children very well in many different ways, however, they are very strict and consistently keep the principles of parenting. However, they do not raise their voice to their children, just use the sentimental words and never say negative things about their children, even whether their children spoil. They always consider their children as friends to talk, explain, and don’t impose them to be like this or that.
– They are very attentive, polite and respect their children. In public places, subway stations, supermarkets and in restaurants, etc in case of loudly scolding or punishing your children, you will get the response from the eyes of surrounding people as if you were doing violence to the children.
– They never compete or decry the parter on child raising. Instead, they regularly share about their clumsiness. This sharing often get a lot of sympathies from other mothers, and therefore, they do not need to try to become the perfect mothers.
– Treating their children very well, attentively and politely to their children, however, they are also very strict in the principles of education, they never create for chidren, even very small children, a habit “everything as you want”, especially for unreasonable demands. They always teach children that when you are smaller, it doesn’t meant that you will get the priority about everything. Mothers, especially German mothers teach their children the first word that the children need to really understand is the word “no”. When saying “no” to the children, German mothers say very seriously, apparently so that the children can understand the true meaning of this word, then explain why the children are “not” allowed to do. Although the children do not understand much, the repetition of the word “no” for many times will help the children get used to it; The memory of the child is like an empty cupboard and the word “no” is the first thing to be put in it. Because of this teaching method, Western children play with their friends in a very self-conscious and independent way; when hearing their mother say “no”, the children know that they are not allowed to do that. As the kids get older, they start forming personality, which requires the negotiation and bargaining. They thoroughly explain the reason for children because anyway, the children also need to know the limit set out by their parents, of course it is very important that when the mother says “no”, the father must also concur and vice versa, because the child will always ask a third person for help. For the child to know that it is the consensus of the parents, the parents must well coordinate, when there is no one to ask for help, they will learn: Well, I am “not” allowed to do it then.
– The motto of the parents is to make friend with their children to find the best option of resolution, not thinking that parents are always right and force the child to do as parents wish, this is completely wrong. In contrast, in order to make friend with the child, parents also have to respect the opinion of the child when the child says “No”.
– They agreed that each child develop in their own way, therefore, they do not bring their children to compare with other children or siblings in the family. This not only makes parents bother but also shows the injustice to children, makes children feel inferior to their friends, siblings and gradually the children lose confidence.
– They always teach the children to learn to be independent very early, from the smallest things. When the mother does something, it is necessary to let the kid do with his/her mother or instruct the kid to do, do not say: “You do not touch, let me do quickly”. When the mother does, it is definitely quick, however, the kid will not learn anything if parents themselves keep doing forever. It is important to know that we were teaching the kids the diligence and ingenuity, for example: When cooking, let your kids fill up rice, if washing clothes, let your kids put their clothes into washing machine by themselves and when cleaning up the house, please give them a towel, limit the area and say: this is your area, especially garbage must be put into the dustbin,etc. Children have the ability to work tirelessly, learn fast and remember for a long time; they will remember and know how to do after being guided for only one time. These things will exercise diligence, ingenuity and observation of the children.
– They teach the children how to spend money early, on the contrary, a lot of us argue that we should not let the children spend money early, because money may be the reason urging the human’s bad nature. When buying anything for the kid, the mother often give the kid money to pay and say: “You are not allowed to bring that thing out of the store without paying, it is not good and illegal.” After many times like that, the kid will know to pay money before taking something out of the store. Children need to know how much those things are and they fit the family’s pocket or not. Do not teach children that “Money can buy everything”, or parents will buy anything if their children demand, with the idea that their children can not “lose” the neighbor’s children. It will make the child keep up with the joneses early and the worst thing, it may lead to theft. In particular, the Jewish have opinion that the early identification of money is the way to help children understand the value of labor. The three-year-old Jewish children are taught to distinguish money and know the value of money, the four-year-old ones are given money by their parents to go shopping for simple things, the five-year-old ones can be assigned the tasks to receive the bonus and thus, they may understand that getting money is thanks to the manual labour and they should spend a reasonable expenditure. The 6 to 10 year-old children are given a bit more money by their pararents and the children learn how to manage money and property and when are 10 years old, they will have their own accounts. Many Jewish families often let their children to do the household chores to receive the reward from a very young age,etc.
– They always think that good parent does not mean to serve their children regularly. They do not leave their children alone, however, they do not want to cuddle their children, turn them into stuffed animals. They focus on teaching the independence skills that make their children can serve themselves from an early age. This will not only save parents from the troubles, but also be better for their children.
– They have always talked to their children enthusiastically since they were born and teach them to recognize the world around them. Exercising habits and the passion in reading book for the children is paid especial attention in Israel, therefore, the Jewish children often actively read books from the early age, the valuable books are preserved for many generations, the bookshelf usually placed above the children’s bed (in Israel every 4,500 people have a library with the extremely valuable books, there are more than 1,000 public libraries).
– They are interested in Fetus Theory “Fetus is Genius” and the early education methods for children aged 0-6 years. In particular, this has been preserved in the Torah bible and the Talmud bible of the Jewish. Today, talking to the fetus, moving gently, solving problems for pregnant women, etc are the ways not only by the Jewwish mothers but also by most mothers around the world in order to enhance the capacity of intellectual development for the fetus. The scientists also said that normal people only use 1% of the potential of the brain, even the genius like Albert Einstein only use 3-5%. Therefore, the fetal education and early education are to increase the connectivity of neurons to maximize the endless potential of the brain, which is the way to create geniuses.
– In kindergarten, there are a lot of things to play from the house to the yard. In the yard, there are the sand, swings, slides, vines,etc and in the house, there are musical instruments, toys, wood, pillows, teddy bears, dolls, blankets, mats, tape, colored paper,etc. There are many things for the children to play, and common features of these types of toys is to help children develop the intelligence and the creativity. In these countries, though this kindergarten is not under the Montessori educational method, most of them applied in the spirit of Montessori education, the children will have to think, explore how to play, how to combine the available things in the classroom or in the yard to get the interesting games. The children are free to play and do things they like, the teachers do not totally intervene in playing process of the children, only observe from a distance and support if necessary.
– In the primary, the thing which the teachers concern is that how to arouse the passion in learning for the children naturally but not forcefully. The children love new things, if you ask the kids to stay in class all day, the class will become something very boring; therefore, if the kids are allowed to run around and play comfortably, they can learn something very new, very interesting and they will be excited and listen intently.
– Children are participated in many outdoor activities, extracurricular activities, sport festivals, cultural shows as well as festivals and community events, exchanges and the other art exhibitions. Through these activities, they are taught how to behave as the model citizens and how to be independent in the smallest actions.
– In these countries, it is thought that primary education is not the knowledge education; it is needed to create the conditions for the comprehensive development of the children, focus on making friends, exercising and extracurricular activities. The school considers the basis of being a person, building the confidence, the truthfulness, the honesty, the fairness, the tolerance and the independence, which means that at the early age, the children have learned and been trained the basic values of the culture. Or in short, they focus on the personal education first and then provide knowledge later.
Today, the educators in the world and the parents in the developed countries agree that, the age from 0-6 years is the gold stage in the education (please see the writings “The Early Education” and “Waiting until Kindergarten is too late”), and that “Every child is the same at birth, but why the children later become geniuses, while many children become only normal people, even stupid? For the children, the environment has a huge impact role, the most important thing is not the talent but the method of education and the environment that they have got in the stage of the first six-years”. We would like to invite the parents to refer the summary of the forebears in the world who were taught related to the environment and education environment of the children : “If children live among people who criticize, they learn how to condemn; If children live in the hostile atmosphere, they always fight; If children live in panic, they learn the fear; If children live in difficult situations, they learn the sympathy; If children live in an atmosphere of hostility, they has ambitions; If children live in an atmosphere of tolerance, they learn the patience; If children live amid strong encouragement, they learn the confidence; If children live in pride, they learn how to strive; If children live with sharing, they learn generosity; If children live in honesty and fairness, then they learn the truth and justice; If children live in happiness, they learn that the world is the nice place to live”. In selecting persons to make friends, Vietnamese parents often say: ” Good begets good and evil begets evil” while the Jewish parents teach their children that: “Playing with the dog is that you will have fleas” and “If you associate with wise persons, you also become wise person; If you associate with a fool, you also become a fool “and” True Friendship is like solid tent, it can be a shelter for humans and it is the priceless treasures in the life “.
– If the country wants change, the first thing is to focus on educating the people, especially the young people, the future generation of the country. We would like to introduce to the parents the child-raising methods in some countries for the paretns to get more convenient reference with the wish to joint hands to build up a more and more beautiful society.
Japanese Education; Child-Raising in Japanese style;
Child-Raising of the Jewish people; Child-Raising of American people;
Japan International School